LAS VEGAS, Nev. (702 Times, NV Globe) – North Las Vegas police reported that a man who was hit while standing on a sidewalk by an allegedly intoxicated driver over the weekend has passed away. He was standing next to a woman who passed away on Sunday at the site.
According to the police, Fernando Jose Reyes, 21, is accused of multiple offenses, including driving while high, causing two accidents, and running over and murdering two people.
On Sunday in the early afternoon, a collision occurred near Aliante Parkway and the 215 Overpass. Reyes reportedly rear-ended a Ford Fusion while operating a Suzuki XL7 before speeding away from the scene, according to police.
Police allege that Reyes blew a red light while driving southbound on Aliante close to Nature Park. He then allegedly collided with a Prius with his Suzuki, sending it out of control and striking two people on the sidewalk. The male, who was receiving critical injury treatment, passed away after being admitted to the hospital, while the woman passed away before she ever got to the hospital.
Witnesses prevented Reyes from fleeing the area on foot. Police in North Las Vegas expressed gratitude to the “brave residents” who intervened to stop Reyes.
Reyes appeared in court for the first time on Tuesday morning. He is still detained in North Las Vegas and is accused of the following offenses:
- Illegal backing of a vehicle
- Duty to stop at an accident (2 counts)
- Fail to give info to parties at accident (2 counts)
- Fail to decrease speed or use due care
- Reckless driving
- Duty to stop at scene of accident with death or substantial bodily harm (2 counts)
- Reckless driving resulting in death or substantial bodily harm (2 counts)
- DUI resulting in death
- DUI resulting in substantial bodily harm
- Operating an unregistered vehicle
- Violating an instruction permit
- No seat belt
Credits: 8 News Now
Copyright 2022 702 Times, NV Globe. All rights reserved.
- Las Vegas Woman Arrested for Attempted Murder After Stabbing Man in Garage - December 1, 2023
- Nevada Democrats Attack GOP U.S. Senate Candidate Sam Brown for Anti-Abortion Stance - December 1, 2023
- Sparks Man Arrested for Murder of 17-Year-Old Boy - November 29, 2023