LAS VEGAS – The Animal Foundation (TAF) has raised concerns about a recent surge in canine respiratory diseases among dogs in the Las Vegas valley. In a post on X, formerly known as Twitter, on Friday, the foundation revealed that its veterinarians have observed a rise in cases of the highly contagious Strep Zoo and Canine Pneumovirus among valley dogs.
Tragically, one dog had to be “humanely euthanized” on Sunday, Oct. 15, after testing positive for Strep Zoo, while another dog succumbed directly to the disease.
Strep Zoo, a bacterial infection, can manifest in various symptoms in affected dogs, such as fever, lethargy, coughing, and other respiratory issues. Immediate veterinary care is strongly recommended upon observing these symptoms.
Canine Pneumovirus, another respiratory disease, often presents with symptoms like coughing and nasal discharge, and in severe cases, it can progress to pneumonia. Unfortunately, there is no preventative vaccine available for this virus, and dogs do not possess natural immunity against it.
TAF officials have taken swift action to mitigate the spread of the diseases within the shelter. All known exposed dogs are being isolated for a period of 10 to 14 days and have commenced a course of antibiotics. Fortunately, all dogs under isolation are reported to be in stable condition.
The City of Las Vegas has also addressed the issue, stating that Animal Protection Services is actively working to minimize the number of dogs housed at the shelter. Lost dogs with microchips will be returned to their owners rather than being brought to the shelter, as part of their efforts.
To alleviate the strain on the shelter and find loving homes for as many dogs as possible, TAF is organizing an “urgent adoption event” on Friday, Oct. 20, and Saturday, Oct. 21. During this event, all adoption fees will be waived, encouraging potential adopters to come directly to the adoptions building between 11 AM and 7 PM, where dedicated team members will be available to assist them.
It is crucial for dog owners in the Las Vegas valley to remain vigilant and seek veterinary attention promptly if their pets display any symptoms associated with these respiratory diseases. By raising awareness and taking necessary precautions, we can work together to protect our furry companions and ensure their well-being.
Copyright 2022 702 Times, NV Globe. All rights reserved.
- Suspect in Sacramento Shooting Arrested in Reno - November 28, 2023
- Innocent Girl Shot in Shoulder by Stray Bullet - November 28, 2023
- Las Vegas Residents Brace for Colder Temperatures with Heating Tips - November 28, 2023