Smoke Continues to Blanket Reno Area, Causing an Increase in Emergency Room Visits by People With Underlying Conditions
Author: Nevada Globe Staff
NEVADA – As the Mosquito Fire burns in California, smoke blankets our area, causing a surge in ER visits.
Dr. Jenny Wilson, Saint Mary’s emergency department medical director, says many of these patients have asthma and COPD.
She stated, “They haven’t had one of these attacks in years.”
Breathing issues and coughing are signs.
Even for individuals without underlying illnesses, Wilson recommends staying indoors because smoking can inflame the lungs.
It causes dizziness and headaches. It’s smoke inhalation, but not as severe as in a burning structure, said Wilson. I recommend jumping rope and exercising indoors.
Tuesday night at 11 p.m., the AQI was 294, which is highly unhealthy and near hazardous.
If you have to go out, wear a mask to avoid inhaling ash.
Wilson: “If you come out to your car in the morning or afternoon and find it coated in ash, that’s what we’re inhaling.”
She adds that the unhoused are going to the ER with a variety of illnesses.
Copyright 2022 775 Times, NV Globe. All rights reserved.
- Terry Fator’s Former COO Accused of Stealing Nearly $1 Million - September 26, 2023
- CCSD to Discuss Teacher Shortage and School Start Times at Thursday Meeting - September 26, 2023
- Washoe County Deputies Investigate Fatal Shooting in Verdi - September 26, 2023