LAS VEGAS – A two-year-old girl is fighting for her life at a Las Vegas hospital after police said she found a loaded gun on the ground at a playground and shot herself.
The girl, Ava, was playing at a daycare on Friday afternoon when she found the gun, according to police. She picked it up and it went off, striking her in the chest.
Ava was rushed to the hospital in critical condition. She has undergone several surgeries and is currently in a medically induced coma.
Police said the gun had been dropped by a 16-year-old boy who had been involved in a shooting on a bus near the daycare earlier that day. The boy, Tshaun Rucker, has been arrested and charged with attempted murder, three counts of discharging a gun into an occupied vehicle, and child abuse.
Ava’s family has set up a GoFundMe page to help with medical expenses.
Gun Safety Tips
- Always keep guns unloaded and locked away from children.
- Store guns and ammunition in separate locations.
- Teach children about gun safety and the dangers of firearms.
- If you see a gun that is unattended, immediately report it to the authorities.
Preventing Gun Violence
- Support background checks for all gun sales.
- Ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.
- Invest in community violence prevention programs.
- Address the root causes of gun violence, such as poverty and inequality.
We all have a role to play in preventing gun violence. By following these tips and supporting gun safety measures, we can help to keep our communities safe.
Credits: 8 News Now
Copyright 2022 702 Times, NV Globe. All rights reserved.
- Innocent Girl Shot in Shoulder by Stray Bullet - November 28, 2023
- Las Vegas Residents Brace for Colder Temperatures with Heating Tips - November 28, 2023
- Henderson Police Make Arrest in Burning Drum Case - November 27, 2023