Evacuations Lifted After Powder in Letter Deemed Safe
NEVADA – After officials reacted to a hazmat situation in downtown Reno Friday afternoon, people inside a building near the courthouse were evacuated.
Officers say three people were exposed to a powder found inside an envelope inside the facility at 350 South Center Street approximately 2:15 p.m.
REMSA is checking on the three impacted folks, and thus far, they say they are fine.
According to the Washoe County Sheriff’s Office, the letter was discovered in the mail room and was subsequently taken by a deputy who transported it to a remote location.
The powder was judged to be non-hazardous and has now been sent to a lab for identification.
Several roadways in the neighborhood were closed but have now reopened.
Reno Fire Department, Reno Police Department, and Hazmat personnel were among the agencies that responded.
The probe is currently being handled by the US Postal Inspector and the FBI.
Copyright 2022 775 Times, NV Globe. All rights reserved.
- Sparks Man Arrested for Murder of 17-Year-Old Boy - November 29, 2023
- Washoe County School District Approves New Puberty Videos for Fourth Graders - November 29, 2023
- Teenager Arrested in Las Vegas for Making Terroristic Threats - November 29, 2023