NEVADA – On Sunday morning, a guy was apprehended in Dayton after allegedly firing multiple shots in a neighborhood.
Lyon County Sheriff’s Office (LCSO) deputies in the Dayton region responded at about 8:45 a.m. on Jan. 22 to a neighborhood in the Quail Ridge subdivision for multiple complaints of a man in possession of a firearm. While strolling throughout the area, the man was allegedly firing multiple rounds. According to authorities, there was also a kid on the scene attempting to bargain with the suspect.
The suspect was described by the reporting parties as a Caucasian man with a buzzed head, wearing gray sweatpants and a Carhartt jacket with no shirt underneath. When deputies got in the area, they discovered a male matching the description roaming about. The individual, who was carrying two loaded firearms, instantly surrendered to authorities and was taken into prison without incident.
According to LCSO officials, no injuries were recorded, and the location was quickly confirmed to be safe, with no ongoing hazard to the public.
The suspect, Melvin Cantrell, 39, of Dayton, was arrested and lodged in the Lyon County Jail on the following charges:
* Brandishing a Deadly Weapon in a threatening manner
* Discharging a Firearm where a person might be endangered
* Reckless Endangerment to the Public
* Child Endangerment
Bail is set at $85,000.
Anyone with information on this event can contact Sgt. Julie Redmond at (775) 463-6600, Ext: 5001.
- Reno’s Disaster Action Team Urges Residents to Check Smoke Alarms After Apartment Fire Displaces Families - September 23, 2023
- Investigation Underway After Possible Pipe Bomb Explosion Injures Man in Las Vegas - September 23, 2023
- One Killed, Two Injured in Northeast Las Vegas Valley Multi-Vehicle Crash - September 23, 2023