Reno attorney Joey Gilbert has applied for an open trustee position (District E) on the Washoe County School Board (WCSD). The position is open after former trustee Angie Taylor won her race for Assembly District 27.
Gilbert came in second in his bid for Nevada governor and made education a top priority during his campaign. He unveiled a comprehensive plan entitled, “No Mercy” and promised to declare a state of emergency for education if elected governor. His vision of education reform included:
- Schools, campuses, and classrooms–state wide–would be safe and drug-free, practicing 100% voluntary drug testing.
- Teachers would be empowered to regain control of their classrooms and student behavior would be respectful.
- Average daily student would improve to 90%.
- All students, regardless of race, would be learning at grade level or above.
- Education would not be indoctrination with a curriculum that was accurate, balanced, and inclusive. “The past and present flaws of America would not be hidden,” Gilbert said, “but all Nevada schools would proudly teach the overwhelming greatness of our nation and the privilege each of of us has to be a part of it.”
- Campuses would be open to public visitation.
- Deans would return to campuses.
- Ineffective leaders would be removed.
During a campaign stop at Eldorado High School in Clark County, Gilbert told The Globe:
“The decade-long, broken condition of Nevada’s public schools is destroying our children’s futures, and our state’s economy, safety, and social services net. Led by the perennially failing Clark County School District, our entire State’s public schools are academically dysfunctional, morally bankrupt, socially dangerous, and fiscally irresponsible.”
According to the WCSD website, “the Board serves as the steward and guardian of the District’s values, vision, mission, and resources.” The Board convenes tomorrow to reduce qualified applicants for District E to be interviewed at a special meeting of the Board on December 6, 2022.
The Globe has reached out to Gilbert for a comment and will provide the comment when received.
Latest posts by Megan Barth (see all)
- South Carolina Edges Nevada To Host First Democratic Presidential Primary - December 2, 2022
- Rep. Horsford Elected to Chair Congressional Black Caucus - December 2, 2022
- City of Reno Stonewalls Request For Public Safety Center Budget - December 1, 2022