Cold Creek, Nevada – A terrifying gas leak explosion at a single-family home in Cold Creek on Thursday afternoon could have been a much worse tragedy if not for the community’s proactive Firewise measures.
- Around 5:34 p.m., a gas leak sparked an explosion while repairs were underway at the home on the 100 block of Raven Oaks Drive.
- Clark County Fire Department, with mutual aid from Las Vegas Fire and Rescue, responded swiftly to the scene.
- Arriving firefighters found the home engulfed in flames, prompting a defensive strategy focused on containing the blaze from the exterior.
- While the home sustained significant damage, Cold Creek’s Firewise Community designation played a crucial role in preventing the fire from spreading.
- The homeowners had recently cleared 13 trees surrounding the house, creating a crucial firebreak that prevented the flames from reaching the adjacent forest.
- This timely action, part of the Firewise program’s focus on reducing wildfire risk, ultimately saved the surrounding vegetation and potentially nearby homes.
Investigation and Community Support:
- The cause of the gas leak and explosion remains under investigation by the authorities.
- Fortunately, only one occupant sustained burn injuries and was able to self-transport to UMC for medical care.
- The Cold Creek community, known for its close-knit nature, has rallied around the affected family, offering support and assistance during this difficult time.
- This incident highlights the importance of Firewise initiatives in mitigating the risks of house fires and wildfires.
- Taking proactive steps like clearing brush and creating defensible spaces around homes can significantly improve the chances of containing fires and protecting property and lives.
- The success story of Cold Creek serves as an inspiration for other communities to adopt similar Firewise practices and build resilience against fire threats.
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
Credits: Fox 5 Vegas
Copyright 2022 702 Times, NV Globe. All rights reserved.
- First Regulated Cannabis Lounge Opens in Las Vegas, Marking Milestone for Nevada’s Industry - February 24, 2024
- SE Las Vegas Residents Voice Concerns About Nearby Homeless Encampments, Call for Solutions - February 24, 2024
- Third Suspect Arrested in Apartment Complex Shooting That Endangered Children - February 24, 2024