HALO OUT: Vegas Esports Arena Boots Trump-Backed Marty O’Donnell Tournament Over Politics
By TheNevadaGlobeStaff, August 22, 2026 6:15 am
Republican congressional candidate and legendary “Halo” composer Marty O’Donnell says a prominent Las Vegas esports venue pulled the plug on his planned old-school Halo tournament because of the event’s political ties, forcing the Trump-backed candidate to hunt for another location.
O’Donnell, the Republican nominee challenging Democrat Rep. Susie Lee in Nevada’s battleground 3rd Congressional District, told Fox News Digital that his campaign spent more than a month discussing an October Halo LAN tournament with HyperX Arena at the Luxor before the venue abruptly backed away. “Because of your political affiliations, we’re going to have to cancel,” O’Donnell said he was told.
The Marty for Congress website goes further, stating that after “multiple conversations,” Allied Esports and HyperX Arena said they would no longer host the tournament because of the “political affiliation” of its participants. The campaign is now collecting names from gamers interested in playing, attending or watching online while it searches for a replacement Las Vegas venue.
HyperX Arena disputes O’Donnell’s characterization that he was rejected simply because he is a Republican. In an email provided to Fox News by the campaign, arena representatives said the decision concerned “the political affiliations and election-related nature of the proposed program.” Fox reported that HyperX Arena representatives did not immediately respond to its own request for comment.
That distinction gets considerably harder to swallow once the address enters the conversation.
HyperX Arena operates inside the Luxor, where political activity is hardly some forbidden alien species. Fox reported that the property has previously hosted a Bernie Sanders press event, a Democrat Party caucus and, as recently as 2024, an event involving California College Republicans. Apparently politics can survive inside the Luxor pyramid. A Trump-backed Republican holding a Halo tournament, however, suddenly sends the shields into critical failure.
And this is not O’Donnell’s first encounter with the progressive gatekeepers of gaming this month.
SacAnime disinvited O’Donnell from its planned 25th anniversary Halo reunion in Sacramento after organizers said LGBTQ staff members were uncomfortable with his attendance because of remarks from his congressional campaign. O’Donnell argued that comments identifying Marxism and anti-Western ideology as threats had been falsely portrayed as an attack on LGBT Americans. SacAnime subsequently removed him from the reunion.
Two cancellations in roughly ten days start looking less like a scheduling problem and more like a culture-war campaign contribution.
O’Donnell is responding by leaning directly into the fight. He told Fox the tournament will happen with or without HyperX, likely around Oct. 9 or 10, complete with old-school Halo, LAN competition and, fittingly, “Doritos and Mountain Dew.” He also argued that Republicans would be foolish to ignore gamers who spent the last decade watching corporate entertainment companies inject progressive politics into products they once bought simply to have fun.
That fight has particular resonance in Southern Nevada. Las Vegas has aggressively marketed itself as an esports and entertainment hub, while O’Donnell is running in one of the most competitive congressional districts in America. Trump carried NV-03 in 2024, even as Lee narrowly survived, proving the district’s suburban electorate is perfectly willing to split tickets and punish politicians it believes have wandered too far left.
O’Donnell’s campaign was already built around the proposition that ordinary Americans are exhausted by progressive institutions preaching politics at them.
Now a Las Vegas gaming venue may have handed the guy who wrote the music for “Halo” a rather spectacular demonstration.
The tournament lost its arena.
The culture war just gained another level.
Speak Up, Nevada! What’s on Your Mind? Send us your opinion!
Got the inside scoop on something happening in Nevada? Or the country? Do you have thoughts about life in Nevada that are too good to keep to yourself? Whether it’s a hot take on our politics, crime, education, or even the secret to surviving our summers, we’re all ears! Swing them our way at editor@thenevadaglobe.com. Come on, give us the scoop on what makes Nevada tick—or what ticks you off. Let’s make some noise and have some fun with it!
- HALO OUT: Vegas Esports Arena Boots Trump-Backed Marty O’Donnell Tournament Over Politics - August 22, 2026
- Nevada National Guard Concludes Intensive Wildfire Response After Dropping 328,000 Gallons on Northern Nevada Blazes - August 21, 2026
- “He Started Blasting”: Jurors Hear 2008 Audio Tapes of Duane “Keffe D” Davis Naming Nephew in Tupac Shakur Drive-By Ambush - August 21, 2026



